In this episode, Marine delves into a crucial yet often overlooked aspect of the energy sector: diversity. Our guest, Joshua Atkins, founder of Pride in Energy, shares his insights on the transformative power of diversity in the energy industry.
Key Points Discussed:
1. The 4Ds Transforming the Energy Sector: Joshua highlights the significant shifts in the energy sector, emphasizing the often-overlooked aspect of workforce diversification.
2. Bridging the Skills Gap: He discusses the looming skills gap in the energy industry, spanning from strategic roles to field staff, and the importance of aligning company values with the priorities of new generations entering the workforce.
3. Business Case for Diversity: Through practical examples, Joshua illustrates the tangible benefits of investing in diversity. He cites research showing significant returns for businesses that invest in women and other underrepresented groups.
4. Rising Discrimination and the Need for Allyship: The conversation touches on the increase in discrimination, particularly against gender-diverse individuals. Joshua stresses the importance of allyship at all levels, especially in senior positions.
5. Visibility and Representation: The lack of representation at senior levels is a concern, but there is a positive trend in vocal leadership and allyship. Joshua talks about the slow but steady progress in visibility for various groups.
6. Challenges of Pink Washing: Joshua brings attention to the issue of ‘pinkwashing’, akin to ‘greenwashing’, where companies superficially endorse LGBTQ+ rights without substantive action. He advocates for genuine commitment and change.
7. Practical Steps for Companies: Joshua advises companies to listen to their employees, especially those in diversity groups, to understand and address specific issues within their organization.
8. Future Initiatives: Teasing some upcoming initiatives for Pride month, Joshua hints at exciting plans to promote visible endorsement of LGBTQ+ individuals in businesses.
Joshua Atkins’ insights reveal the undeniable link between diversity and the future success of the energy sector. His call for genuine commitment to DEI, beyond mere tokenism, resonates as a powerful message for all industries.
Support Energ’Ethic on Patreon https://patreon.com/Energethic
© Next Energy Consumer, 2024